The STORY OF CIVILIZATION
[Volumes 1 to 11] by Will Durant is by a wide margin the most exhaustive work to comprehend the man’s set of experiences and culture.
The arrangement was composed over a range of over fifty years. It sums 4,000,000 words across almost 10,000 pages.
The Story of Civilization was rarely finished, The Durant couple passed on before its fruition with 11 books total.
I. Our Oriental Heritage (1935)
“One of the lessons of history is that nothing is often a good thing to do and always a clever thing to say.”
The series is not completed : in the first book (Our Oriental Heritage, which covers the history of the East through 1933), Durant expressed that he needed to incorporate the historical story of the West through the mid twentieth century.
volume I covers Near Eastern history until the fall of the Achaemenid Empire during the 330s BC, and the history of India, China, and Japan up to the 1930s.
- The Establishment of Civilization
- The Conditions of Civilization
- The Economic Elements of Civilization
- The Political Elements of Civilization
- The Moral Elements of Civilization
- The Mental Elements of Civilization
- The Prehistoric Beginnings of Civilization
- The Near East
- A Motley of Nations
- India and Her Neighbors
- The Foundations of India
- From Alexander to Aurangzeb
- The Life of the People
- The Paradise of the Gods
- The Life of the Mind
- The Literature of India
- Indian Art
- A Christian Epilogue
- The Far East
- The Age of the Philosophers
- The Age of the Poets
- The Age of the Artists
- The People and the State
- Revolution and Renewal
- The Makers of Japan
- The Political and Moral Foundations
- The Mind and Art of Old Japan
- The New Japan